Managing Documents and Records when Relocating Offices
Moving offices is a disruptive unpleasant process, but you can smooth the process when it comes to your documents and records.
It happens to almost all companies at one time or another, the dreaded office relocation. There are many reasons you may be moving, your lease is going to expire, you require larger – or smaller – offices, better visibility, closer to your market, etc. No matter the reason, you are probably going to run into more than a few headaches along the way.
One of the most important aspects of any office relocation is how to manage your documents and records. Loss of vital operating documents or client contracts or financial records could put your company at serious risk, not to mention increase the loss of production you will already face during the move.
A little bit of foresight can go a long way
Moving offices may actually present you with unexpected opportunities, if you plan ahead.
In fact, an office move may be the perfect time to assess your documents and records needs and implement new records management programmes and procedures.
Here are a few questions to ask yourself when you start to plan your office relocation:
- Have you created a list of vital operational documents and important records and do you know where they are located?
If not now is a good time to start making a list and gather important details about each document and its whereabouts.
- How well are your documents currently organised?
Using File-Tracking software to better organise your in-house filing system can help your staff locate documents much faster as well as manage their life-cycle from creating to destruction and create accountability.
- Do you have documents and records that are inactive and could be stored off-site using a professional records management company?
If you do you will not only be reducing the amount of office space you require but reducing the relocation load too.
- How can you make up the lost production time that will occur during the move?
When important items get moved, inevitably your staff will have trouble finding them. Having your operational documents and records scanned by a document imaging company can have enormous benefits. Some of these benefits include:
- Instant document availability through a secure browser connection, which in turn will lead to increased production.
- The ability to archive and backup important records and so eliminate the risk of losing them during the relocation.
- Paper documents that do not need to be retained for legal purposes can be digitised and then destroyed, which will then save you money on storage space.
- Are you complying with document regulations and record retention schedules?
Now is the time to find out, which records need to be kept and for how long. You may find that many of your records can actually be destroyed and so save you money on storage costs. The flipside of this is preventing valuable records from being destroyed accidentally.
- What digital data is being stored on your computers, will it be safe during the move?
Computer hard drives are sensitive pieces of technology, a bump here, a splash of water there and you can kiss your data goodbye. Making sure backup and restoration measures are in place could save you a lot of time and money.
Manage Your Documents and Records Better with Iron Mountain
Iron Mountain is one of South Africa’s leading Records and Information Management Company’s. We boast state-of-the-art facilities around the country, operated by experienced, knowledgeable management teams. No matter your requirements, we can assist you and help take some of the load off your next office relocation.
Contact us today for more information.
Image Credit: Copyright: / 123RF Stock Photo